Proceedings of the Sixtieth Annual Meeting of the Soil Science Society of North Carolina
Vol. LX Proceedings (2017)
Jane S. McKimmon Center, NC State University, Raleigh, NC. 17 - 18 January 2017
OFFICERS FOR 2017
- President – Jeff Vaughan
- President-Elect – Steve Broome
- Past President – Scott King
- Secretary – Scott Mitchell
- Treasurer – Chris McGee
Other Executive Committee Members
- Chris Niewoehner, Divisional Chair – Academics & Research
Barrett Kays, Divisional Chair – Business, Industry & Consultants
- David Ward, Divisional Chair – Public Health
Karen Wallace, Divisional Chair – Government Agencies
- Achievement Award - .....
- Byrd Scholarship - ....
- Hands of the Master (Soil Texture Contest)
- Poster Contest
- First Place ....
- Second Place ....
- Third Place ....
- Fourth Place .....
- Fifth Place ....
Key Note Speaker: C. Wayne Honeycutt, Ph.D.
President and CEO, Soil Health Institute. Opportunities for Enhancing Soil Health
Soil Fertility and Soil Health
- Adapt-N and Soil Organic Measurements: It Matters.
Deanna Osmond., S. Rajkovich, and R. Austin, Crop and Soil Sciences, NC State University
- Biologically Based Nitrogen Fertilizer Recommendations.
Alan Franzluebbers, USDA-ARS, Crop and Soil Sciences, NC State University
- Soil Health Indicators Do Not Differentiate Agronomic Systems in North Carolina Soils.
Wayne Roper, Crop and Soil Sciences, NC State University
- Quantifying Soil Health from Soil Organic C Fractions in Diverse Winter Cover Crops in North Carolina.
Katie Pritchett and Alan Franzluebbers, Crop and Soil Sciences, NC State University
- Biomass Production and Nutrient Removal by Potential Biofuel Grasses Grown on Sprayfields.
Carl R. Crozier, T. Jot Smyth, A. Heitman, Z. Wang, and M.S. Castillo, Crop and Soil Sciences, NC State University
- Yield of Bioenergy Grasses as Influenced by Nitrogen Fertilization in the North Carolina Coastal Plain Region.
T. Jot Smyth, Carl R. Crozier, Z. Wang, A. Heitman, and M.S. Castillo, Crop and Soil Sciences, NC State University
- Our Research in South America- Perspectives from a Recent Peru Visit.
George Naderman, NCSU, Julio Alegre Orihuela, and Jorge Perez
Onsite Wastewater Rules and Soil Evaluation
- .1900 Rules Revision Update.
Tricia Angoli, PE, NC Department of Health and Human Services
- Innovative Approval for Offsite Systems.
Heath Ward, REHS, Guilford County Environmental Health
- Considerations for Non – Residential Flows.
Kevin Davidson, Agri-Waste Technology, Inc.
- Incidence of Leaking Septic Tanks.
Jeff Vaughan, Agri-Waste Technology, Inc.
- Engineer Option Permit: An Engineer's Perspective.
John Thomas, PE, Thomas Engineering, PA
Wetlands and Streams
Soil Properties and Pedology
- Mobile Soils Classroom.
Sandra Weitzel, Program Coordinator, Soil and Water Conservation NCDA & Consumer Services with Rich Hayes, Carl Crozier, and Shelia Jones
- Onsite Wastewater Training.
Jonathon Godfrey, Crop and Soil Sciences, NC State University
- Soil Science Licensing in NC: Current State and Future Outlook.
Mike Vepraskas, Crop and Soil Sciences, NC State University, and Larry Baldwin, Land Management Group, Inc.
- Majors, Minors and Certificates - Soil Science Education at NC State.
David Crouse and Steve Broome, Crop and Soil Sciences, NC State University
- Soil Science Undergraduate Education: Diluting the Rigor.
John Havlin, Crop and Soil Sciences, NC State University
- Ammonia Exchange from Soils: Laboratory Study
Najwa Alnsour, Wayne Robarge, and John Walker
- Evaluating off-site migration of arsenic from MSMA into sod farm pond systems
Sarah Dance, Matthew Jones, Audrey Matteson, Travis Gannon, and Matthew Polizzotto
- Reducing Stormwater Runoff in the Lower White Oak River Watershed
- Flush of CO2 as a soil health tool-a study with tall fescue pasture soils
Smriti Pehim Limbu, and Alan J. Franzluebbers
- Validation of Soil Test Potassium Recommendations and Plant Tissue Analysis to Optimize Soybean Yield in North Carolina Cropping Systems.
Lauren Lintz, Carl Crozier, and David Hardy
- Affordable vs. Effective: A Tackifier Comparison
Maria Polizzi and Rich McLaughlin
- Soil Health Testing does not Differentiate Long-term Agronomic Systems in North Carolina
Wayne Roper, Deanna Osmond, Joshua Heitman, Michael Wagger, and Chris Reberg- Horton
- Microscale Assessment of Arsenic Reactivity on a Sand grain from Wagram Soil
Aakriti Sharma, Dean Hesterberg, Matthew Polizzotto, Joe Guinness, Montserrat Fuentes, Amanda Bell, Juergen Thieme, Yu-Chen Karen Chen-Weigart, Garth Williams, and Ryan Tappero
- Soil Organic Carbon Contents in Silvopasture Planted with Native Warm Season Grasses
J. Chris Smith, Alan J. Franzluebbers, Matthew Polizzotto, and Miguel Castillo
- Using Land Use Change, Soil Characteristics, and a SemiAutomated On-Line GIS Database to Inventory Carolina Bays
Jeffrey G. White, Dana Sullivan, and Michael J. Vepraskas
- Microbial Community Analysis within Stormwater Wet Detention Basin Floating Wetlands and Sediments