Proceedings of the Fifty-Ninth Annual Meeting of the Soil Science Society of North Carolina
Vol. LIX Proceedings (2016)
Jane S. McKimmon Center, NC State University, Raleigh, NC. 19 - 20 January 2016
OFFICERS FOR 2016
- President – Scott King
- President-Elect – vacant
- Past President – Deanna Osmond
- Secretary – vacant
- Treasurer – Chris McGee
Other Executive Committee Members
- Chris Niewoehner, Divisional Chair – Academics & Research
Barrett Kays, Divisional Chair – Business, Industry & Consultants
- David Ward, Divisional Chair – Public Health
Sara Knies, Divisional Chair – Government Agencies
- Achievement Award - Dr. David Lindbo
- Byrd Scholarship - Matthew Askew
- Hands of the Master (Soil Texture Contest)
- Poster Contest
- First Place Microscale Accumulation and Chemical Speciation of Arsenate on a Sand Grain from Wagram Soil Authors: Aakriti Sharma, Dean Hesterberg, Montserrat Fuentes, Matthew Polizzotto, Joe Guinness,
- Second Place Arsenite and Arsenate Sorption to Biogenic Iron (Oxyhydr) Oxides Formed in Natural and Laboratory Environments Authors: Tyler Sowers, Andrew Whitaker, Megan Andrews, Matt Polizzotto, and Owen Duckworth
- Third Place (tie) A comparison of the sorption affinity to synthetic and biogenic manganese oxides Authors: Matthew M. Jones, Megan Y. Andrews, Tyler D. Sowers, and Owen W. Duckworth.
- Third Place (tie) Elucidating the Structure and Reactivity of Bacteriogenic Iron Oxides to Better Understand Contaminant Cycling Authors: Andrew Whitaker, Megan Andrews, Tyler Sowers, Owen Duckworth
- Fifth Place Quantifying the controls of manganese oxides on geogenic arsenic release in groundwater Authors: Elizabeth Gillispe, Owen Duckworth, N. Phen, and Matt Polizzotto
Key Note Speaker, Now What?, Dale Threatt-Taylor
Saturated Hydraulic Conductivity and Onsite Wastewater
Wetlands and Streams
Sediment and Stormwater
- Stormwater: 2016 update.
Annette Lucas, NCDEQ Division of Energy, Mineral, and Land Resources
- Encouraging Adoption of Residential LID Practices in NC.
Mitch Woodward, NC Cooperative Extension
- Regulatory Updates from Division of Energy, Mineral, and Land Resources.
Ashley Rodgers, NCDEQ Division of Energy, Mineral, and Land Resources
- Infiltration Measurements and Modeling: Considerations for Subsurface Limitations.
Josh Heitman, NCSU Dept. of Soil Science
- How Soils are Used in Stormwater Management.
Beth Chesson, Amec Foster Wheeler PLC
- Bioretention and Permeable Pavement: How do Soils Affect Performance.
Ryan Winston, NCSU Dept. of Biological and Agricultural Engineering
Urban Soils and Organic Farming
- A comparison of the sorption affinity to synthetic and biogenic manganese oxides.
Matthew M. Jones, Megan Y. Andrews, Tyler D. Sowers, and Owen W. Duckworth.
- Airborne Remote Sensing for Estimating Corn Plant Biomass and Nitrogen Status.
David Williams, Jeffrey White, Carl Crozier
- AMPLIFY: Agrosphere Modeling for Producing Large Increases in Food Yield: An Interdisciplinary Research Platform for High Yield Agriculture.
Jeffrey G. White, Michael Kudenov, Mohamed Youssef, Bobby Vick, Gail Wilkerson, Greg Buol, Robert Walters, Gary Payne, and Becky Boston
- Application of biochar and manure on soil microbial sources of nitrous oxide.
Huaihai Chen, Yinghong Yuan, David Williams, John Walker, Wei Shi
- Arsenic accumulation in pond water and sediments near sod farms and golf courses in North Carolina.
Matteson, AR., Gannon, TW., and Polizzotto, ML.
- Arsenite and Arsenate Sorption to Biogenic Iron (Oxyhydr) Oxides Formed in Natural and Laboratory Environments.
Tyler Sowers, Andrew Whitaker, Megan Andrews, Matt Polizzotto, and Owen Duckworth.
- Elucidating the Structure and Reactivity of Bacteriogenic Iron Oxides to Better Understand Contaminant Cycling.
Andrew Whitaker, Megan Andrews, Tyler Sowers, Owen Duckworth
- Effects of Prescribed Burning and Thinning on Carbon Mineralization in a Forest Ecosystem
D. A. Owiti, I. A. Tazisong, T. G. Gardner, and Z. N. Senwo
- Evaluation of Surface Infiltration Measurements Using Soil Hydraulic Properties to Model Behavior
John Lewis, Joshua Heitman, Adam Howard, Richard McLaughlin.
- Impact of Bioenergy Grass Production on North Carolina Piedmont Soil Properties.
Zan Wang, Joshua Heitman, T. J. Smyth, Carl R. Crozier, Aziz Amoozegar, Ronald Gehl and Alan J. Franzluebbers.
- Interaction between Carbonate and Ammonium in Aqueous Buffered Solutions: Implications for the Bidirectional Exchange of Ammonia
Najwa Alnsour, John Walker, and Wayne Robarge
- Microscale Accumulation and Chemical Speciation of Arsenate on a Sand Grain from Wagram Soil
Aakriti Sharma, Dean Hesterberg, Montserrat Fuentes, Matthew Polizzotto, Joe Guinness.
- Nitrogen Recommendations in North Carolina: Evaluation of Adapt-N.
Shelby Rajkovich, Deanne. Osmond, Rob Austin, Harold Van Es, and S. Sela
- P uptake mechanism of periphyton in paddy soils
Jiuyu Li and Dean Hesterberg
- Pedologic Influences on Soil Specific Surface Area Across Geomorphic Regions of North Carolina
Kelly Floro, Aziz Amoozegar, Joshua Heitman, David Lindbo, Michael Vepraskas
- Quantifying the controls of manganese oxides on geogenic arsenic release in groundwater
Elizabeth Gillispe, Owen Duckworth, N. Phen, and Matt Polizzotto
- Source tracking of nitrous oxide using a quantum cascade laser system in the field and laboratory environments
Huaihai Chen, David Williams, Parikshit J. Deshmukh, François Birgand, Bryan Maxwell, John T. Walker
- Testing Capabilities and Applications of Unmanned Aircraft Systems in Detecting Nutrient Concentrations
Joseph Taylor, Robert Austin, Joshua Heitman, Deanna Osmond, Carl Crozier, and Stacy Nelson
- The Role of Reduced Tillage and Organic Agriculture in Soil Nitrous Oxide Emissions
Sean Bloszies, Chris Reberg-Horton, and Shuijin HuAndrew
CEUs for self-reported credit